Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Resto review - Amaya Bread Bar

Although this isn't GFB related, I thought the foodies in the crowd would enjoy a restaurent review!

I've been really riled up to talk about my dinner out last week at Amaya Bread Bar - www.amayasbreadbar.com

There have been lot's of wonderful reviews about this place, and I love indian food! On top of that I was going with a couple of fellow foodies...a night of good food while talking about food is pretty much heaven in my books!

Unfortunately I forgot my camera, and missed out on the photo op, but I will give a brief review!

Service - pretty much terrible.  Had to ask for water refills three times, and spent almost 2 and a half hours at the table - I would say well over half of that time was waiting.  We watched people come and go around us.

The food - I didn't write everything down unfortunately, but I think I remember most of it.  The three of us opted for the $45 tasting menu, which would allow us to share 3 apps and 3 mains, and we thought, 3 desserts.  Being the brave foodie souls that we were, we decided to go with 'chef's choice' - even though we had the option of choosing which menu items we wanted, we thought it would be best if the chef presented us with what he thought was the best of the best....don't do this.

First, we received an amuse bouche - a round slice of eggplant, stuff with cream cheese, and deep fried, served with a mint sauce, and a tomato chutney.  this was pretty good - i mean, deep fried cream cheese, common..of course it was good.

Apps

lamb kabobs - pretty good flavour, not too lamb-y (i'm not a fan of that musky lamb flavour), but dry, needed some sort of indian ketchup equivalent!  The mint sauce did appear again on this plate - very underwhelming.

samosas - one stuffed with potato and peas, one stuff with chicken tikka...good flavours - again with the deep fried, which gets automatic bonus points

Chicken tikka - chunks of moist, extra salty (too salty for both my campanions) tandoori chicken with a really light sauce.  really nothing spectacular, and we just had the same thing in our samosas...with so many options, you'd think the chef would send out something different

We received a small bowl of extra tart lemon sorbet between apps and mains - this was yummy...and palate cleansing of course.

Mains

Butter chicken - definitely not the best butter chicken I've ever had - it was so sweet - I feel like someone back in the kitchen dumped some sugar in the pot by accident.  2.5 out of 5 stars

Lamb Roganjosh - a spicy lamb curry - this lamb had a musky flavour, but it was very tender...the sauce was nice, but carried that lamb flavour a little too much...if you're a lamb lover, you'd like this.

Channa Masala - chick pea curry - VERY good.  The best main in my opinion

Shrimp/Coconut curry - I forget the name of this, but another sweet and savoury sauce - the shrimp were huge, and well cooked, the sauce was seasoned well but there was an herb or a spice in it that I didn't quite love.  It was a fave of the other gals.

Now, the piece de resistance, and I really think this was their saving grace:  the naan.  It was delicious. We received a variety, rosemary, plain, and garlic...tender, chewy warm and perfect...and lots of it, perfect for sopping up the extra curry sauces!

Dessert - a very disgusting looking bowl of white-ness.  it was a round molded chunk of cottage cheese, swimming in a pool of extra sweet milk - infused with an indian spice (don't know what).  It was cold (as intended), way too sweet, and the texture of the cheese was not appetizing.  I gave it my best shot, and the spice infusion was quite nice, but overall, this dessert was a failure...none of us liked it.  And it was our only option...unlike the apps and main, we received only one dessert.  In the end, I think we'd had enough, and wanted to leave anyway - it had been 2.5 hours!

So overall - don't think I would be back - although, I wouldn't complain if someone wanted to give it a go.  I would just order off the menu - after all, the reviews can't all be wrong right? maybe it was just a bad night!














No comments:

Post a Comment