Wednesday, December 2, 2009

a little somthin'

I've been a little negligent in my cooking this week! Since my last post, there's not too much to add...somehow, I have managed to use a lot of my GFB though!
 
Those pesky potatoes are causing me a little stress (to a girl that likes variety, using 10 lbs of potatoes in a month can be tricky business!) I'm not sure what to do with them! Of course spuds are perfect cooked simply, but I'm looking for something fun and creative to work on. My friend Joanne and I were talking about making perogies from scratch, so maybe I'll aim for that...Jo, can we make a date?
 
I will be getting my final GFB delivery next week - I've contacted my pick-up location and have requested a change in my order. I'm going for the large organic box for my last delivery. This box costs $34 (as oppposed to the $17 for the one I'm receiving now). Does anyone want to wager on whether I think organic will be worth it or not?
 
O.k. back to business...the produce report.
 
The fruit... 
4 grapefruit - still kicking around. I have a few ideas for them - 1) sprinkled with sugar for breakfast 2) in a salad 3) in grapefruit champagne sorbet (this month's Style at Home magazine has a great looking recipe by Donna Hay - and I have been looking for an excuse to use my Kitchen Aid ice cream maker!)
 
The bananas, plums, and pears (local) from this delivery have been great. I was worried about the plums which were exceptionally firm. I braced myself for a sour bite, but was pleasantly surprised by their sweetness...and they tasted very, hmm... plummy? they were good, and now gone!
 
The Bosc pears are excellent examples of Bosc pears! Crisp and sweet, with that fuzzy little feeling you get on your tongue that is undeniably Bosc :)
 
I used the avocados (yes, a fruit) over the weekend in a simple guacamole (sorry no photo!!! picture this...green mushy stuff...appetizing green mushy stuff :) )

Included in my guacamole:
2 small Hass avocados (very ripe)
1/4 small onion, minced
1/2 clove garlic, minced
Juice from a lime
1 roma tomato seeded and finely chopped
S&P to taste

(normally I would add a 1/2 jalepeno, but we were serving a spice sensitive crowd)

 
I didn't the think the avocados were the typical grocery store Hass variety, so I searched 'avocado varieties' and came up with this http://www.tropicalfruitnursery.com/avocado-viewer/index.htmWho knew??? It turns out that the GFB avocados were likely Hass, but they were really good hass! Much paler than I've seen before, and VERY smooth and creamy, like butter (man's greatest invention)
 
I used a good chunk of my veggies in a really great curry recipe a couple of nights ago. It wasn't indian, it wasn't thai - a fusion of sorts. I made this one up, but it's inspired by a soup recipe from Eat, Shrink and Be Merry (authors of Looneyspoons).

 
We'll call it...
 
Wicked-good Fusion Veggie Curry
(this receipe is vegan, and gluten free btw!)

 



 

 




Ingredients (seems like a lots, but there really isn't much prep work, trust me!)
  • 2 tsp canola oil
  • 2 tsp GFB garlic (2 small cloves)
  • 1 Tbsp grated ginger (I always have a chunk of frozen ginger ready for grating - freezing makes the job a cinch)
  • 3/4 tsp of curry powder (I used Club House), cumin, and garam masala (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garam_masala. Got mine from the Spice House in Kensington Market - coriander will work here to, or nothing if you have neither)
  • 1/2 - 1 tsp salt (please taste before adding more)
  • 1 small GFB onion (local), chopped
  • 2 small GFB sweet potatoes (local), chopped in 1"ish pieces
  • 1/2 large can of diced tomatoes, about 400ml (I buy no-added salt, so I can salt myself...such a good dietitian)
  • 4 small GFB zucchini (2 large, 3 medium...really whatever!) chopped to the same size as your sweet potatoes
  • 1 can of chick peas (or lentils would be yummy) - rinsed.
  • 1 can of coconut milk (go light for a lower fat version)
  • 2 Tbsp peanut butter (Kraft-smooth)
  • 1 Tsbp brown sugar
  • Juice from 1/2 lime (a Tbsp or so)
  • 1 tsp Sriracha (hot asian chili sauce - optional)
Instructions:
  1. Heat canola oil over medium heat
  2.  Add onions and sautee for 2-3 minutes
  3.  Add garlic and ginger and sautee for about a minute
  4. Add curry powder, cumin, and garam masala, sautee for another 30 seconds
  5. Add coconut milk, sugar, tomatoes, and sweet potatoes - turn heat to medium-low and simmer for 10-12 minutes, until potatoes are almost soft enough to eat.
  6. Add zucchini and chickpeas, and simmer for another 5-8 minutes, until zucchini are cooked through
  7. Add peanut butter, lime juice, sugar, and sriracha and simmer until heated through (p.b. is melted)

 Serve over basmati rice.

 

This made enough for Rory and I for dinner, lunch the next day for both of us, and one more lunch, so 5 servings-ish depending on personal gluttony :)

 

This recipe is a keeper for sure, I brought a couple of samples in to some foodies at work, and they also agreed. A great vegetarian dinner option (I try to do at least a couple per week), or a great dinner party option for your vegan, celiac, kosher friends! ENJOY!

 

Still left on the agenda to tackle is the giant head of Savoy cabbage - not sure what I'll do with this, and recipe searches have been pretty fruitless. Sauteeing with bacon comes to mind...stay tuned!

 
Also remaining are: 3/4 bag of beets, a FULL 5 lb bag of potatoes, a few onions, a couple of sweet potatoes, and some garlic. Suggestions always welcome :)

 
Happy Eating!

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

1 comment:

  1. The curry looks good!
    If you still have that head of cabbage, I have a recipe for warm thai chicken salad that calls for 3/4 of a green cabbage. let me know and I'll pass it on.

    ReplyDelete