Friday, June 18, 2010

Man o man - ok so my promise to get my act together and plan my meals for the week has been a colossal failure! Warm whether = no routine. 
To start, my first Green Earth Organics delivery - another disappointment! As I mentioned in my last post, the sign up process was a breeze.  My delivery arrived in a nice protective tupperware box...and that's where the positive ends.
I opted to do a couple of substiutions for my delivery - I am not a picky eater, but the one food I'm really averse to is cilantro...it tastes like household cleaner to me - apparently this is a result of a taste gene.  It was scheduled to come with my delivery, so that was an automatic sub.  I also subbed apples, because this is the worst time of year for apples. I chose to get peaches and some Ontario bok choy.  Well, I got the cilantro anyway (along with the subs), which when I opened my box, smacked me with it's distinct gag inducing smell. Next,  I kid you not when I say the bok choy literally came rotting.  The inner leaves with brown and slimey.  This was also the case for the mixed greens.  The rest of the produce, which included: leeks, green onions, a tomato (alllmost over ripe, but we used it immediately - see guacamole below), asparagus, sweet potato, mushrooms, peaches, bananas were good quality, but for $37 a box I expect perfect quality for all the produce.
I emailed GEO about the bok choy and lettuce, and they responded within minutes apologizing and conceding they did have an issue with the spring mix.  They offered to send me replacements with my next delivery or to choose any 2 additional produce items to add to my delivery. Good customer service! 
Well, I have to say I haven't made great use of the produce.  I've had something going on every single evening since I received the box - luckily for me, Rory's been making up some nice little dinners and not letting the produce go to waste.
 
Rory's Crispy Baked Cod, Asparagus, Homemade Tartar, and Basmati
 
 
Rory and I are alike in that we're not recipe people.  As you all know, this occasionally results in disaster, but sometimes we hit it out of the park.  Rory made a deelish crispy coating for this fresh cod which included bread crumbs, quick oats, thinly sliced green onion, garlic and onion powder. He  popped it in the hot oven for the perfect amount of time (probably 12 mins or so), and served it with homemade tartar (miracle whip and sweet relish - ok homemade-ish).  I love cod, but I find even though it doesn't taste 'fishy' like salmon and trout can, it actually smells fishier when you cook it.  Anywho, really really good meal - the fish was so flaky and moist - servied with a side of local asparagus (steamed) and basmati rice with soy sauce.
 
No recipe Guacamole
 
I never use a recipe for guacamole, but I would say the following is about what I do when I make it.  My technique is to taste as I go, adding more salt, pepper, lime juice as I like it!
  • 2 Ripe avocados
  • 1 tomato, seeded and chopped finely (I like using roma or plum tomatoes) local GEO
  • 1-2 green onions chopped finely (local GEO)
  • 1 clove garlic (local Wanigan) minced
  • 1/2 jalepeno, minced
  • Juice of 1 lime give or take
  • s&p to taste
Sometimes I don't have jalepenos, so i leave em' out.  I also like to use red onions instead of green.  Sometimes I add more tomatoes, sometimes I use roasted garlic, I've also used lemon juice in a pinch....the options are really endless.  Point is - stop using a recipe for guacamole and live a little!
 
Black Bean and Garlic Shanghai Noodles
 
 
I actually can't believe I haven't blogged this recipe before.  This has been a pretty regular staple for us over the past few years.  It's inspired by a Lucy Waverman recipe.  This is a veggie version, but it's delicious with meat or shrimp too.
Ingredients

  • 1 package of your favorite fresh asian noodles - mine are these thick and satisfying udon noodles
  • 1 Tbsp canola oil
  • 2 tsp (2 small/1 large clove) minced garlic
  • 2 tsp minced/ grated ginger (I freeze my ginger and use a a grater when it's frozen)
  • 1-2 Tbsp black bean and garlic sauce (bottled - available at most supermarkets)
  • 3/4 cup cold water
  • 2 tsp cornstarch
  • 2 Tbsp of hoisin or oyster sauce (ditto)
  • 1 tsp asian chili sauce
  • 1 tsp sugar
  • 1 tbsp rice vinegar
  • 1 tsp sesame oil
  • juice of 1/2 lime
  • some fresh chopped or ripped basil (1/4 cup ish)
  • Veggies - I used a local hothouse red pepper, broccoli, and little shitake mushrooms

Directions

  1. Cook noodles in a large pot of boiling water for a couple of minutes (or as directed on package)
  2. Combine black bean sauce, water, corn starch, hoisin, chili sauce, rice vinegar in a dish and wisk together
  3. Heat a large skillet to med high, add canola oil, add garlic and ginger and stirfry for 30 seconds (careful not to burn it or it get bitter!) 
  4. Add veggies, stir fry for 1-2 minutes until they start to soften
  5. Add sauce mixture, and bring to boil, simmer for 2-3 more minutes until veggies are tender but not overcooked
  6. Add sesame oil, lime juice, and basil, and cook for 30 more seconds
  7. Dump in your cooked noodles, toss, and
  8. ENJOY!

This is the first time I've used shitake mushrooms in this dish and I will never leave them out again! They absorb so much flavour and they keep such a satisfying texture.  I realize this sounds like a lot of ingredients but the sauces will keep for a long time in your fridge, and trust me, you will be making this one regularly!  There is also a lot of leeway when it comes to this recipe - I often don't have limes or basil, or one or more of the other ingredients - you'll still have a great dish on your hands, promise!
 
 
 
This is a scape - it is  the stem from which the seed head of the garlic bulb is formed.  They taste like garlic without that spicy heat garlic cloves have - a milder garlic.   A local springtime treat.  I picked some of these babies up from a small produce stand down the street.  With them (I used 4 or 5), I made:
Spinach, Scape, Walnut Pesto Hummus (See my previous post on basil walnut pesto - substitute basil with baby spinach, and garlic with scapes.  I brought the hummus along with some goat cheese and whole grain crackers (Tricuits - Balsamic and Basil flavoured) for a potluck - a hit!
 
Ok, this is what I'll do...my best :)  I have a new delivery coming this week - which I admit in advance will be a busy one! (it's my birthday!).
 
I do have grand plans to make strawberry jam in the next couple of weeks though, so stay tuned for related posts!
 
Enjoy this weather! Eat outside!
 
 
 

4 comments:

  1. i still don't understand your aversion to cilantro, especially in guac!!

    you're still super cute though :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think your right about the family gene thing with cilantro, I can smell it in almost anything and I agree it is like eating soap.. Yes and you are super cute still too....love you sis!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks to your aversion to cilantro, I was able to make some delicious black bean croquettes! I will take it off your hands anytime!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with Richelle. I too don't understand your aversion to cilantro in guacamole or anything else AND I am a closer relative to you than your brother-in-law,at least I think I am AND 'you' are 'super cute' still too!

    ReplyDelete