Wednesday, February 3, 2010

"The Situation"

The Perogies turned out GREAT!!! I've been bragging about them all week - and they we're a big hit at the cottage...people said they could really taste the difference between the ho-hum frozen supermarket brand, and my full-of-local-flavour-and-love variety!

I didn't bring my good digital SLR camera to the cottage - I knew there was probably going to be one too many games of flippy/tippy cup going on (and I was soooo right), so the photos aren't phenomenal, but I'm posting them nontheless..we served the little bundles of tasty with sausages and peppers, which also turned out  great thanks to Damian's genius technique of scoring the sausages to make sure the juices ran down in to the roasting peppers....



These perogies were fried up on a flat surface pan that spanned two burners with some butter, onions, and bacon grease.  Damian had just fried up some bacon on the same pan for our appetizers...homemade jalepeno poppers! I can't believe I didn't get a photo of them - delicious, and he totally made up the recipe... my kinda cookin'!


The sausages (1 pan of honey garlic, 1 pan of mild italian) were scored and laid on top of a bed of bite-sized chopped bell peppers and sliced onions - which were tossed in EVOO and s&p -oven at 350 for 40 minutes-ish...I hate to admit to this, but I got the idea from watching Jersey Shore! yes, the MTV reality show about shirtless guidos selling get this, t-shirts. I'm calling this recipe... The Sausage "Situation"  (you closet JS fans know what I'm talkin' bout).

Cottage life is good! 


This week I got a new FDO fresh box...
My fave item is this nifty little squash, called a delicata

I still have quite a bit of produce left from the last box - a squash, carrots, 2 rutabagas, onion, and grapefruit, all holding up well even after 2 weeks...it's been a slow startup since the holidays (I know I know, it's Feb).  One thing I haven't mentioned is that I received a bunch of bananas from my first box that never ripened - for 2 whole weeks they stayed as green as the day they were delivered.  I've heard that if bananas are picked from the tree too early, this can happen.  I emailed FDO to let them know, and no questions asked they replied the same day with an apology and a promise that I would receive a better batch (or something of equal value if there were none) in my next box - and I did!  And of COURSE, my first batch of bananas started turning yellow on Monday! They are perfectly edible :)

Along with the produce I received a newsletter with a few new recipes (rather ambitions ones), and a notice of a price increase.  The basic box, will now be going up $2 to $37.  The explanation being "This price change is necessary for FDO to maintain itself as a sustainable business operating within our business philosophy - a philosophy encompassing environmental sustainability, fair wages and benefits for employees, timely and fair payments to farmers and suppliers, and community involvement.". 

This has been a wonderful service so far - and I've received some great customer service, and great quality organic produce...but I thought $35 was already steep.  Especially when I compare a basic (non-organic) Good Food Box for $17...this is now more than double the price.

Other food news of the week - it's Winterlicious! http://www.toronto.com/winterlicious 

I had a great experience on Monday with some fellow dietitians at Globe Bistro on the Danforth - Globe Bistro.  A beautiful space, and we had a great table overlooking the restaurant.  The food was very good, and the service was excellent (and no one ordered a single drink).  I neglected to bring my camera (ARG!) but you may be able to see the photos on my facebook page - I've linked Andrea's album to it: Globe Bistro photos

I've gotta get cooking over the next few days!  Superbowl Sunday is four days away, and I will be sure to post all about the evil smorgasbord I'm planning with friends!

In the meantime happy sustainable eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment